Wednesday, April 4, 2012

No-sew fabric flower hairpin

Lately I've decided to experiment with creating flower hair clips. I've always avoided projects like these because I don't enjoy sewing, so once I realized all you need is scissors, old fabric, and hot glue, I was so excited.

For this project, you will need just a few scraps of cotton cloth. You can have all one color but I chose to do two for this one.
  1. Start with a large piece cut with the edges scalloped, which is on the far right. You can follow a pattern but I don't. It turns out fine if the edges aren't perfect, this is a forgiving design. You'll also need a set of four slightly smaller scalloped circles, and then four more that are slightly smaller yet. You can see I didn't bother ironing the fabric- its okay, it will still turn out fine.
  2. Lay out the largest circle and on top, hot glue on the second largest circles, by folding them into quarters and glueing them evenly spaced around. I tried to show that in the photo, but its tricky to describe. Hopefully you can see what I meant. :)














3. Then repeat the same process with the slightly smaller scalloped circles- I used the patterned fabric on top of the solid grey.
4. All done! You can leave it as-is, or top it with a pretty bead or hot glue a button on. In this case I topped mine with another layer of four (smaller yet) scalloped circles, and then pinned a little white flower that was part of a scrap-booking embellishment. You can then attach it to a bobby pin, or if you have thick hair like me you can glue it to a clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment