Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vegetarian "chicken" sandwich healthy alternative


I used to like chicken patties and would eat them at the school cafeteria, or in a fast food meal. But one day I bit into one- and crunched down on a small piece of...something.  Fat? Ligament?  I don't want to know.  Shudder.... its just a big yuck factor for me eating processed meat.  Before trying vegetarian alternatives, I didn't know something could taste similar, but you would be surprised.  The more processed the meat (think sausage or chicken patty) the more similar the vegetarian alternatives taste.  It makes sense, I guess, since most processed meat is pretty spongy and gets a lot of its flavors from additives.  The vegetarian alternatives aren't something that is such a "super healthy" alternative that you'd want to eat them every day- definitely not.  They are still highly processed, and can be expensive as well.  Still, though, they are definitely a healthier alternative to the meat versions- less fat and cholesterol, as well as boasting a similar protein content.  For a healthy alternative to a fast food chicken sandwich, I toasted a Morningstar Farm vegetarian chicken patty with a half a slice of Texas Longhorn Cheddar cheese and some ketchup, on a honey wheat sandwich thins.  It tasted very similar to the famous chic-fil-a sandwich, but much less fat and sodium.  Yummy!   In case  you were wondering what was next to the sandwich on the plate- its matzoh crackers spread with cream cheese and topped with horseradish topping (dug up from my in-laws garden.)  Sounds a little strange but my husband was very hungry while I was making dinner and thought he would make a little snack to munch on in the mean time :).

No comments:

Post a Comment